Saturday, August 2, 2008

Dopiness and Naming

Not too much new to say, but Niels is definitely becoming a bit more aware. The doctor made the point that for the first week, babies are a bit "dopey." In fact, I think that yesterday was the first time that his eyes where truly wide open--I keep staring at them trying to figure out what color they are going to be eventually.

So people out there have been asking where his name comes from. Basically, we wanted to have a Scandinavian name since Tara has a lot of Swedish (and some Norwegian) heritage. Going through names, I just always liked the sound of Niels. Although that is the Danish spelling, we felt that the Swedish spelling, Nils, doesn't fit into English as well. And, admittedly, I've always been a fan of Niels Bohr. The name was pushed over the edge when we realized that Niels is a variation of Nicholas, which is a name that has a lot of meaning in Tara's family. As for his middle name, Christiensen, that was the maiden name of Tara's great grandmother.

Oh, and a question for readers out there: we got a cute "Peanut Shell" sling in the mail from somebody, but we don't know who sent it to us. Any clues?

Who you lookin' at?


What IS that washcloth doing?


The stroller still wipes him out


I've been eating well


Eyes open


Cozy blankets

1 comment:

pea.princess said...

Doh! That was me...am expert in using Amazon, but not apparently in leaving notes. Sorry. Hope Mr. Gobhi likes it! :)